Get to know the finalists of the 2nd edition of Aveiro Urban and 5G Challenges
Aveiro Urban Challenges
Aiming startups, scaleups and R&D centres, the second edition of the Aveiro Urban Challenges will award the best ideas and solutions to address urban issues. In this edition, the Municipality of Aveiro challenged the candidates to find solutions for five different challenges. From a total of 30 applications received finalists are all from Portugal:
- Smart management of users and visitors: Technological solution aimed to manage public in events and cultural spaces (indoor or outdoor) – Heptasense;
- Inclusive Tourist Guide: Technological solution aimed to promote inclusive tourism and cultural’ s offers – Zoomguide;
- Flood Management: Solution aimed at controlling and maintaining the level of Aveiro's urban channels in accordance with variables of the level of external and internal water, precipitation and wind: PRM - Sist. de Inovação e Engenharia;
- Edge Computing for LIDAR sensors focusing urban mobility: Development of an Edge Computing solution for data analysis and processing through LIDAR detection of vehicles and people in the public space: AllbeSmart;
- Aveiro candidacy for European Capital of Culture 2027: Development of a mapping, mediation, communication and cultural creation platform, between the Cultural and Creative Industries of the Region of Aveiro: OurNet2.
Each finalist of the "Aveiro Urban Challenge" will receive 20.000,00€ to finance the development of the projects. Within the next months the finalists will develop their projects and also have access to training and mentoring sessions promoted by Beta-i. In October 2021 we will have the Final Pitch with the final presentation of the five solutions. In October 2021 we will have the Final Pitch with the final presentation of the five solutions.
Aveiro 5G Challenges
The "Aveiro 5G Challenges" is delivered in partnership with Altice Labs will reward solutions and products supported by 5G technology, allowing candidates to use the 5G infrastructure installed in the living lab of the city of Aveiro, to develop and scale their solutions while having access to technical mentoring from Altice Labs and Ericsson. Candidates will also have training and mentoring sessions promoted by Beta-i.
This edition received a total of 29 applications from all over the world, e.g. India and Kenya. Of the ten most disruptive projects in the area of 5G selected to the next stage half are Portuguese and the others are from Germany, Belgium, Croatia and the United States of America.
The 10 finalist products/solutions of the 2nd edition of Aveiro 5G Challenges are:
- CycleAI (Portugal): Security models through Artificial Intelligence
- Infinite Foundry (Portugal): 3D Digital plants
- Portugal Play (Portugal): Gamification and immersive experiences
- Breeze Technologies (Germany): Intelligent sensors for air quality, data and analysis
- Eagle Stream (Portugal): High-resolution Live Streaming Solutions
- CityGuyd (United States): Augmented Reality in the post-Covid travel market
- Allbesmart_LDA (Portugal): IoT and 5G connectivity
- MoodMe (Belgium): Insights for videos with facial emotion analysis by Artificial Intelligence
- Equinox XR (Croatia): Platform for creating and monetizing augmented reality for games
- Obob (Germany): Intelligent photo notes for photo-based workflows (construction, machine service)
These ten projects also have started the Development and Test phase which comprises training and mentoring sessions. The goal is to find the three winners for this challenge, which will be known in October in the Final Pitch, during the Aveiro Tech Week. The ten finalists have monetary support for participation in the amount of 2000€, and for the three winners the final prize amounts to 25.000.00€ each.