WISH MI - Wellbeing Integrated System of Milan
Milan wants to address the urban challenges of child poverty, inequalities and segregation, by rethinking and integrating the local policies and strategies for the wellbeing of all children and young people. To do that, we will develop innovative and engaging solutions to improve accessibility to all the available opportunities. We think that the multidimensional wellbeing of minors is fundamental: for this reason, we will work to recognize and empower Milanese youth as key players in shaping the future of our city.
It takes a village to raise a child but, most importantly, it takes children to make a village.
Milan Municipality seeks to envision new opportunities to ensure no one is left behind as the City grows, by increasing social cohesion, building vibrant communities and reducing educational and economic disparities.
Recognizing our youth (0-18yrs) as the main players of Milan today, we will build the Wellbeing Integrated System of Milan (WISH MI) for all our 225,000 minors towards an inclusive and cohesive Milan, a city which:
- offers wellbeing opportunities to all minors and their families;
- places minors at the heart of the construction of the Milan of tomorrow;
- listens not only to the needs but also to the wishes and resources of minors and their families;
- re-composes its resources to build an integrated system of services that are co-designed with minors and their families.
WISH MI seeks to address the main urban challenges of:
- Income inequality and social marginalization
- Multidimensional child poverty
- Unequal access to education
- Social isolation and weakening social and family networks
- Integration of immigrant communities
- Fragmentation of resources
- Limited use of digital technologies in educational/social services
WISH MI will face the aforementioned challenges through an approach aimed at promoting the multidimensional wellbeing of all children.
Wellbeing is evaluated using 7 pillars: social relations, physical activity, healthcare, access to education and training, opportunities to express talents and creativity, self-determination, and access to quality common spaces.
We aim to achieve our goals through the following actions, guided by the wellbeing pillars:
- Design of an integrated set of policies and strategies;
- Co-design of the system visual identity;
- Re-composition and aggregation of wellbeing opportunities in a connective participatory digital platform;
- Community hubs to promote the re-composition of opportunities at local level and the experimentation of innovative services co-designed with minors and their families.
- Comune di Milano
- Milan Polytechnic - public research centre
- Milan Polytechnic Foundation - private organisation
- ActionAid - private organisation
- Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore
- ABCittà s.c.s - cooperative
- Increased access to city services for all minors (0 -18 yr), with particular attention to the most vulnerable;
- Decreased number of minors (0 -18 yr) living in poverty;
- Increased access of 0-6 yr children to early education;
- Lowered rate of school dropout;
- Increased social cohesion;
- Decrease in school segregation.
March 2020: First sharing of the framework of the Integrated Wellbeing System.
November 2020: Aggregation and re-composition of opportunities for minors’ wellbeing both on the WishMi Platform and in the three pilot territories.
February 2021: New system to enhance accessibility to wellbeing opportunities launched.
October 2021: Community tools launched: digital Platform as a playground and Community Hubs.
February 2022: New approach in the wellbeing system for the city of Milan fully operational.
August 2022: Integrated Wellbeing Strategic Plan: systematization.