The results of the UPPER SEEDs activities already finalized, have been evaluated by the Cooperativa Labirinto according to the guidebook “Evaluating the Impact of Nature-based Solutions: A Handbook for Practitioners. European Commission, Directorate-General for Research and Innovation, March 2021”.
The goals that were set by the monitoring group were divided in four categories and each one of them has been characterized by the creation of indicators to evaluate the achievement of the results.
The expected results were:
- Increased availability, accessibility and inclusiveness of city public green areas.
- Improved psychological and relational wellbeing among local communities.
- Improved social inclusion and autonomy of persons with mental and physical disabilities.
- Increased citizens participation, environmental awareness, sense of belonging and ownership of urban green spaces as a common good.
To evaluate those results some surveys have been conducted with a group of 50 citizens (a part of the people attending the activities realized in Piazza Alpi in Latina).
Some indicators have been set to carry out the evaluation and they include:
-sense of belonging: persons who feel proud to live in their neighbourhood and experience a sense of belonging/attachment to their neighbourhood/number of people interviewed.
- social inclusion: persons who feel part of the community when spending time in the urban green areas of their neighbourhood/ number of people interviewed.
- relational well-being: persons who experience good social relations thanks to the urban green areas in their neighbourhood.
- spatial well-being: persons who declare to feel comfortable, safe and happy when spending time in the public green areas of their neighbourhood.
- healthy lifestyles (3 groups): persons who reach their favourite urban park/green area by foot/bike; persons who use the green areas of their neighbourhood for sports; persons who spend at least 3 hours a week doing outdoor activities in a public green area in their neighbourhood.
The citizens of the nearby of Piazza Alpi have expressed great satisfaction about the results achieved by the “Upper seed summer”.
The evaluation made from the teachers had good results too, they said that kind of activities has been parallel to the school programs, leading to a better consciousness of the social environment and the quality-of-life matter.
The 3 to 5 years old children have enjoyed a lot the contact with the animals and the possibility to menage the growing of plants, according to the understanding the importance of this kind of activities also for the children who live in towns.
The children from 6 to 13 years old evaluated with a 4.65 on 5 the impact of this project on their psychophysics wellbeing.
An interesting result from the Survey gave to the 14-18 years old guys has been that they increased their sense of belonging to their school (4.46/5) and they understood the importance of the green spaces and the need to live a healthy life (4.43/5).
However, they thought that activities of the project haven’t led to the achievement of an increasing of the sense of belonging to their city and the project didn’t increase their willingness to start a volunteer path.